Thursday 9 August 2012

Mildly Ironic Bitching

So the first announcement for Soundwave was released yesterday morning. I, like a very large number of people, died of happiness upon reading the poster. My current complaint relates to the aftermath of this announcement.

As per usual, all of my acquaintances on Facebook posted their reactions to this announcement and whether or not they'd be attending. Among the standard barrage of useless posts from people I have nothing to do with, ie. lame pictures they post on some other random's wall and the like, I noticed that a friend of mine liked a post (as usual, written by some person I've never heard of in my life, and I doubt the 50,000 people who liked the post would have either) on Soundwave's wall. I read the entirety of this post out of curiosity, and as I did, the angrier I got. If I'd been a bit more conscious, I'd have been facepalming.

This post was rather lengthy, and, I must admit, well-written. This made his argment even more confusing to me. The post essentially said the following: "I have attended Soundwave for a number of years now, in other states as well as my own. This was an incredible highlight for me, until I saw this lineup. You have disappointed me, as well as the larger community, and I am so offended that you are lapsing in catering to my needs that I will be boycotting your festival and wanted to express my extreme disgust."

My response: Grow. The fuck. Up. It's all well and good that you don't care for the lineup; that's your prerogative. But expecting a nationwide festival costing a total of $36m to cater to you, and getting butthurt when it doesn't, is utterly ridiculous. By your own admission, you had many good experiences at this event, so just shut up and be content with that. I have no doubt that there are many people around Australia who haven't been able to experience the Soundwave joy, who may be able to this time around. Let them have their fun; you've had yours.

Moral of the story: why the fuck can't people just be happy with what they have? I'm probably not the best person to be asking this, as I have quite high expectations in life myself, but it's clearly a common problem, regardless.

Coming up (hopefully): a post very similar to this, but relating to the Olympics and the Australian media.

No comments:

Post a Comment